Monday, September 05, 2005

I'll Give As Soon As....

  • I get that laptop I've been saving for (Fill in the blank with whatever luxury item you're eyeing).
  • I get my next paycheck.
  • I figure out which of the many relief organizations to give to (For the more spiritual among us, this reads "...as soon as I discern which of the many relief organizations the Lord would have me give to").
  • I get caught up on my bills.
  • I can give more than I can give right now.
These are just a few of the responses I've given myself when confronted by an occasion to give generously to people in desperate need. Certainly, there are more needs than any one of us can give to and there are times when one or more of the above reasons for not giving immediately is legitimate. But I realize that sometimes what I offer as "reasons" are in actuality "excuses."


As I viewed the images of suffering and chaos in the Gulf Coast area over the last week, my imagination worked overtime. What goes on in the mind of one whose home, loved ones, and possessions were violently swept away? What's it like to wade through water containing corpses, chemicals, refuse, and raw sewage? How uncomfortable must it be to have nothing to change into or any personal hygiene products after wading through that foul water? What must it feel like to lose all privacy and be housed with countless strangers in a sports arena? What does that awful stench I've heard so many reporters talk about really smell like? One thing that didn't tax my imagination was thinking about how desperately I would want someone to help.


Last week my family decided to donate to the American Red Cross. If you've not yet given toward the relief efforts for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, I urge you to do so today in whatever capacity you're able. Any amount you give will no doubt seem insignificant in light of what's needed but don't let that stop you. Please use your imagination and your resources to help. Thanks for considering this request.

2 comments:

empressbarb said...

This verse comes to mind:
"This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If any one has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1John 3:16-18

tonymyles said...

Ouch - good thoughts!