Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Law of Moses and the Christian

Nathan Busenitz at Pulpit Magazine has begun a two-week series of posts on the relationship of the Christian to the Mosaic law (Part I ).

In defense of the perpetuity of the Old Testament law, Greg Bahnsen has argued that without it the Christian has no basis for condemning bestiality since the New Testament, unlike the Old, contains no explicit prohibition of such acts. A few years ago I presented a paper at a national meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society in which I challenged that argument. The paper, To Beast or Not to Beast: Does the Law of Christ Forbid Zoophilia?, is available online via Reclaiming the Mind Ministries' free ETS Theological Paper Library.


Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

Jeff Burton said...

Thank you for the link.

I read your paper. Bahsen's reasoning leaves him in a poor position to condemn anything not specifically condemned in either the Old or New Testament.

John said...

Agreed. Although I haven't read either position, just hearing the statement caught me as "odd". I think the OT is hugely important to us today, especially because Christ lived by it as his guide of perfect obedience to His Father and it reveals the true depth of character of our God by what he abides and forbids. The logic of Busenitz is just faulty at it's most basic level.

To apply it to the NT, does he beleive there should be no instruments in corporate worship? I am grateful the Corinthians had problems with Communion, otherwise we would not now have its blessing.

KP said...

Hey, Jeff. It's nice to see you're back at blogging. You're welcome for the link and thanks for reading my paper.

Hi, John. Thanks for stopping by. So as to clear up any confusion, I think you meant Bahnsen, not Busenitz.

John said...

Yep, thanks for the clarification.